My life with chronic painSome few years ago, it dawned on men that once your body starts falling apart, your life also falls suit. I used to work as a nursing director at a community hospital in Central Valley, California. While it was small, it was very busy and my days used to be long, but I had a passion for my job. Jim, my husband, worked as a respiratory therapist and had returned to school to acquire R.N certification. When he did it, he worked full time at nights.

When the problem started

Our kinds were teenagers both of them. Jeff, our son was in a local college in pre- nursing and Beth, our daughter was at a local high school. At the time, we were very busy fixing our old but lovely Queen Anne home and we spent any spare time we had at the lake having fun with our ski boat. Each of our kids knew how to water and I had recently bought myself a dream car, the convertible blue Mustand ad I seriously loved. Any time I was exposed to the hot sun in California, my skin started to develop rashes.

This was followed by headaches that attached me for a number of years and high intensity migraines that are commonly associated with lifting patients. Two years before these rashes started showing, I fell while at work. Our hospital carpets had recently been shampooed. So, I walked to our utility room with my wet shoes, I seriously feel hard and landed on my back. As I landed, my ribcage muscle was also pulled. The pain I felt in the sitter was connected to a bruised tailbone/ coccyx. For about ten days, I didn’t report to work and I just stayed at home. In was neither able to sit and taking deep breaths was a problem as well. After sometime, both of these problems seemed to be getting better.

Things became worse years later…

Two years later, the rashes were back to haunt me and the pain also returned, prompting me to resign from work. For a while, doctors though that I was suffering from tailbone inflammation or coccydnia due to the fall and I started my physical therapy. My tail bone was manipulated 26 times internally. I really cried a lot as I hoped that all the agony and embarrassment would soon be over. Being a nurse myself, I really sympathized with what lay people go through in such problems.

When things got worse, we travelled to LA and met a popular rheumatologist. He passionately listened to my complaints and he quickly advised me that the problem would be inflammation of sacroiliac joints. Using the world’s longest needle, he gave me a mind blowing injection and I had some relief. When the pain came back, I was given some NSAIDs and I was started in prednisone that was monitored using a phone and I began physical therapy as well. While I was lucky to find a relief in the long run, it was after great difficulties and struggle.