Trusted & Validity: All our courses are developed by a team of authorized U.S. board certified and licensed medical doctors.

Our nationally recognized certificates are signed by authorized board certified U.S. medical doctors.        

Nationally Accepted Certification

American Academy of CPR & First Aid, Inc.®

Online Cpr Certification Blog

Use Of Energy Drinks

Feb
25

Date: February 25th, 2013

The popuGovernment Survey Finds Out That 42 Percent Of ER Case Visits In Young Adults Were Associated With Drugs And Alcohollarity of energy drinks has led to increased cult following and quite a number of Americans are finding it difficult to take a whole day without a caffeinated beverage, but according to a report published by the federal health officials, excessive consumption of these drinks has also increased the number of emergency visits to the hospital.

Back in 2007 up to 2011 saw the increase in visits among young adults to ER double and out of the 100% visits, only 42% of those were linked to drugs and alcohol associated problems meaning that the remaining 58%, according to the research study were associated with energy drinks. The problem is that most of the cases were largely associated with teenagers and young adults although people in their early and late 40s also presented an alarming spike. In accordance to a report that was availed through the US substance abuse and mental health administration, the associated symptoms of the tested victims included insomnia, severe headaches, increased heartbeats, nervousness as well as some reports of seizures.

About energy drinks and why they are dangerous

Energy drinks are manufactured with high amounts of caffeine. This ingredient stimulates the central nervous system as well as the cardiovascular region according to experts in the study. Overall, the caffeine levels have been said to range between 80 to more than 500 milligrams in a regular can or bottle. A normal cup of coffee can contain up to 100 milligrams of caffeine with a 12 ounce soda taking half of that amount.

The idea is that these drinks in addition to the caffeine ingredients, there are other added ingredients that aid in the boosting effects that can also have resultant negative effects. The caffeinated energy drinks cause increased heart rate and also play a very huge role in increased blood pressure. According to Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum, who is a preventive cardiologist at the Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, people with underlying heart conditions are at a greater risk when   they take these caffeinated drinks as the results increase blood pressure and thus why doctors are raising concerns on the excessive consumption of the same.

What can be done to reduce ER visits on caffeine issues?

It is always necessary to have an idea on what you are about to consume before you put it in your mouth. Some of the products we purchase are manufactured using various ingredients that could have catastrophic results to our health. While the hospital is not entirely concerned about the rising numbers, the government has yet to come in and play its role towards regulating these energy drinks as beverages according to Dr. Mary Claire O’Brien, who is a leading expert on energy drinks from the Wake Forest Medical Center in Winston Salem.

Leave a Reply


4 × five =

Security Seal Certified Seal Privacy Seal Business Verified Seal